Friday, April 30, 2010

The copyright information truely did shock me especially the information concerning video and music.
I was thinking back at so many times when I included full songs into presentations which is way over the limit (10% or 30 seconds). Also it really made me think about what is deemed as "for educational purposes". In class we discussed how many people collaberate pictures into slideshows for end of the year cellebrations such as banquets and even graduations. These slideshows typically include music which firstly is more than 30 seconds worth of a song and secondly I dont think a picture presentation is for an educational purpose even though they are being produced by students, coaches, and teachers for refelction.
I was also surprised about the copyright information concerning videos. It is illegal to show your own personal copy of a video, for example, if my students read To Kill a Mockingbird or The Great Gatsby it would be illegal for me to bring in my own copies of the film adaptations to show my students. Although libraries and BOCES have videos available for classroom use which is acceptable and follows the copyright rules what if there is a film that isn't available to you? I know we've talked about the availability and funding for technologies and we all anticipate that our resources will be limited. Although To Kill a Mockingbird is a video that is probablly available The Lion King is a tool that I plan on using in my classroom that may not be deemed an educational film and most likely wouldnt be available for classroom use through a library etc. Being an English teacher I am bound to teach Hamlet and The Lion King follows the basic plot line for Hamlet. Showing parts of the movie to students would show them how influential Shakespeare was and still is. Connecting classic stories to things that are more modern is a good way to keep students engaged but with the copyright laws I wouldn't be able to bring in my personal videos. I understand why copyright rules are in place, however, I was unaware of some of the information which will now change the way I think about what I am able to do in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment